As many of you know, I’m involved with VICDA, an organization in Kenya that I first volunteered with in 2006. Irene, VICDA’s founder and executive directory, and I have worked together to plan a new volunteer opportunity – the Voluntourism Trip! This trip is designed for travelers who may not have a lot of time, but still would like to both see Kenya and make a difference by volunteering during their visit. The Volountourism trip offers fun, tourist outings as well as several days volunteering at an IDP Camp and the hosting of a Medical Camp for the IDP residents. VICDA is currently accepting applications for the August 2013 trip. Please see the link below for a detailed itinerary.
This trip is perfect for:
- Families! We intentionally scheduled the trip between Summer Camps and the start of school so that families can participate. This is a fabulous and safe way to show your children another part of the world and for them to make lasting memories!
- Teachers! Again, the scheduling of this trip allows teachers to be a part of it! More than half of the camp residents are children and we are seeking enthusiastic teachers to be a part of this experience!
- Second time travelers! You may have gone on a safari in Kenya or another part of Africa, but this is a new experience for most travelers – even seasoned ones.
- Professionals with limited time off! We pack a lot into this weeklong trip, this is a great way to both see and experience Kenya with just one week off of work.
- Doctors! It’s a medical camp after all, your skills will certainly be put to use!
I would be more than happy to discuss this trip with anyone who might be interested. And please pass the information along to friends, family or anyone else who might be interested in a Kenyan adventure!